Monday, 31 December 2012
Goodbye 2012 and Hello 2013!
2012 was a most memorable and amazing year for me!
As I look into 2013 I want to make just a few "reflections" , if not resolutions...
1) Success feels wonderful, but in writing, as in life, rejection and disappointment are also part of the game. I resolve to treat them as necessary complements to all the good things that have come my way, and shrug them off in a gracious and professional manner. Yeah, really...
2) People are more important than the work. I resolve to make more of a fuss about the amazing supporters who have made my writing life (and life, in general) such a happy and enjoyable one. Thank you, awesome friends!
3) I will never pay attention to other writer's word counts. I will never follow trends. I will never beat myself up over real or imagined inadequacies. (Actually, I only need to address the final resolution. I wouldn't know a trend if it bit me--what is steam-punk anyway--and know only too well how easy it is to write 5,000 words of utter dross) Damn, there I go beating myself up, again!
4) I will attend more SCBWI socials and events. SCBWI is the truly the gift that keeps on giving!
5) I will try to make the world a better place by speaking out when I need to and shutting up when I should. (Guess which of these will be the hardest?)
6) I will waste even more time on social media because that's where all the cool people hang out!
Here's to a happy, healthy and creative year for all of us.