Before the bubbles burst (actually, I think the SCBWI "high" will last a long time!) I'd like to share my top ten conference experiences. OR--so that it fits into the Words and Pictures blog remit--my top ten reasons Why I Love the SCBWI Conference.
1) Most heartwarming moment: Being part of the crowd that honoured the gracious Natasha Biebow for her 15 years of service as regional adviser, "growing" SCBWI British Isles from 35 members to 700, and overseeing the launch of so many helpful and innovative projects.
2)Proudest moment: Watching Dave Cousins receive the SCBWI Crystal Kite Award for Europe. Dave was part of our Undiscovered Voices 2010 cohort, and I am always thrilled by the success of any "gang members." Just remember, world...we 2010ers knew Dave first!
3)Most helpful moments: The many chats with fellow writers, when we shared our ups and downs, gained a sense of perspective and re-invigorated our self-confidence and our commitment tp writing.
4) Funniest moment. Being "crowned" a cyberman at the launch party by my fantastic (and imaginative) co-compere Mo O'Hara. Yes, I can laugh about it now...
5) Most embarrassing moment: During Elizabeth Wein and Sheena Wilkinson's Sunday workshop on "world building," I destroyed an entire Playmobile "universe" with my butt. Not on purpose. And in front of many witnesses. All of whom found it hilarious...
|They did not realise how little time they had left...|
6) Happiest moment: Realising that there was still wine left after Mo and I had finished our compering duties!
7) Most exhausting moment: Going upstairs after the "after party".
8) Most comfortable moment...kicking off those high heels.
9) All around best moment: Celebrating everyone's successes!
|Congrats, 2013 authors and fellow Cyberman!|